What music do you like?

I used to really feel trapped when people ask me this question. To me, someone who really knows what music they like are super cool. I once was asked this question, to which I answered, "I don't know just the usual pop," and this guy's reply was "Oh the mainstream pop is really really bad." Our relationship wasn't particularly beneficial at all, but I remember looking up to him, and I even started to listen to some of the music he liked (some really weird stuff) to understand what does it mean for him to prefer that sort of music. What is good music? What is bad music?

I've always been in that limbo of never knowing what music I liked, never knowing what music was good, not even sure where to GET good music. Usually I just go with the flow, for instance, if people around me were listening to mandopop, I would also like mandopop. Without knowing what was my taste, it was a question I did not like to receive, cos I thought that I would most certainly be thought as uncool when I didn't give a good answer.

I'm not too sure whether it has something to do with age, or just having discovered the great radio streaming website called 8tracks, I've start to notice that my personal preference in music has becomed rather defined.

I like mellow vocals, chilled out music. A little lounge, a little jazz. E.g. instrumentals kinda like Starbucks music. When I work though, instrumentals get me too relaxed. So my favourite playlists to play are covers. Covers by Kina Grannis and Clara C are my favourite. They have awesome vocals that are considerably low but still expressive. They also have such a great way of improvising the usual mainstream pop.




Thanks to Eric/others I've also become fond of indie bands like Arctic Monkeys, The Neighbourhood, Bon Iver, Mumford & Sons. The line between indie and pop sometimes get blurred though... but I believe something still sets indie music apart. Somehow, I guess indie musicians have this attitude that relatively gives less of a heck to their audience. They make music for music... and maybe that's why they make really good lyrics and tunes. I think this alluring quality about them is the very same that makes their music cross over to "pop". I try not to be someone who boycotts indie music just because they got popular, though.

I remember having this conversation with John about music, because our tastes are so different. John is a singer, so he really appreciates songs that are difficult to sing. Like Mariah Carey, the beautiful harmonized songs of Backstreet Boys or Boyz to Men... Things like that. He really gets the kick out of listening to people screaming high vocals because he likes to do that.

On the other hand, the kind of music I like, as I described to him in this analogy is like emotions at midnight. Everyone is sound asleep or back in their resting quarters, and it borders on being resigned to fate. I don't need raves, difficult techniques in my music. It shouldn't be that kind of music that strives to impress. It should just express whatever emotions it bears as it is. As if the person is singing to himself.

I guess it has a little bit to do with the introverted side of me as well. Listening to this kind of music just makes me feel so snug and cosy. Life is noisy and complicated as it is.